Thursday, July 12, 2007

Shallow Shatterbrain Shentiments

The one thing I like about senseless things is that you don't have to complicate things up for the sake of understanding them.

I am an avid television maniac--that I can admit. On weekends, when I have to choose between studying and watching TV, I'd opt for the latter. There are times when I would just click the remote control and turn in to any channel that I like--I don't look for the substantial whatnots. I watch the things I like, be it a cooking show, a hollywood blockbuster or even just the flimsiest Filipino love teams with their nonstop 'pa-cute' and 'pa-tweetums'.

But above all these things, I am very inclined to watching "foreign made-slash-Pinoy rip-off" reality shows. Pinoy Big Brother, Pinoy Dream Academy, Starstruck...name it. There is a mighty chance that I've probably watched almost all of them.

And being the "reality" (yes, with the air quotes in real life!!!) show fanatic that I am, I must admit that these shows really defy the definition of reality. I can say for the nth number of times that there are prepared 'blueprints' for all of them.

Now why do I insist on torturing myself by watching the same people over and over again, when in the end, I'd have the bursting speculation that everything was planned out? It's simple--because I like watching them. This is what makes these shows become more 'entertaining'. They can kill the bleeding guts out of you even if you're not personally in contact with them.

I have heard some people say that the people who join these contests are just making a fool out of themselves. That they're just desperate for exposure. I cannot say that that's not true. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.
The thing is, for some people, they LIKE to watch that sort of crap--even if that likeness drives them to shell out their money to vote for their bets.

I for one, have voted in the recently aired PBB Season 2; even if I said earlier on my past entries that doing this would be completely pointless. If you're going to ask why then my answer is that because I feel like it. Screw the money-making agenda of the management...the thought of "being able to make your bet win" is just more exciting.

Yes, it's foolish, not to mention the fact that it all comes down to the realization that people who do watch and vote can be considered shallow. But it's entertainment, for crying out loud! Do I really have to be that deep just to be entertained?

I don't want to debunk or go against other people's opinions--because I don't think it's intelligent for one to do so. They are entitled to give theirs. But just like them, I too, have my own sentiments. Raising a point different from yours is not wrong, in fact, it's normal. The thought of watching PBB 2 and other "reality" shows maybe pathetic, but not all those who do watch them are stupid.

Being opinionated does not mean neglecting your responsibilities when you share them, and probably, it's a tough job to draw the line between it and being tactless.

I got a good line from "charlie and the chocolate factory" which may sum up all of these ramblings that i just talked about...

Mike: "Why does everything here have to be so pointless?"
Charlie: "...because it doesn't have to have a point."

No comments: