01 August 2020
11:55 AM
In neurology, there's a suffix we use to denote the massive or total loss of motor power. We call it plegia -- such that, the weakness of one limb is aptly called monoplegia, that of one side of the body is hemiplegia. Patients with neck lesions, for example, experience quadriplegia or the motor paralysis of all muscles from the neck down including all limbs, often making it hard for them to breathe on their own, all the while leaving their cognitive and mental functions intact. Today, I woke up as if I was in that state. Paralyzed.
---
I had a dream. And since dreams have this tendency to be temporary, fleeting, and eventually forgotten, I think it's better to write it down. In my dream, I was looking at my phone, and then I see this notification in my app, under your name, that says, "Typing..."
A beep. Then a simple message. "Hey"
My heart floated with that message. I was happy. I wanted to hold on to that feeling for as long as I could, but as I opened my eyes and felt the warm, humid air pull me into wakefulness, reality hit me. I checked my phone. Nothing.
Did you know that when I see that blue dot beside your photo, it makes me excited? That when I see you typing or recording a voice message, I get this warm feeling in my gut because seeing and listening to what you have to say gives me joy. Did you know that during this time of uncertainties, looking at your face and hearing your voice gives me hope? It makes me feel that in the midst of chaos, we still deserve to be happy. Talking to you, even when we have nothing to talk about, always gives me happiness.
You deserve to be happy, and not be hurt over and over again, after and in spite of all the things we went through. You deserve to be happy, to be given a true second shot at it, to be trusted again; because what happened before -- it's just that. Maybe it was wrong and maybe it hurt people, and maybe it was a mistake, but that's everything to it. It doesn't define you. Not me. Not us. I hope we can both forgive ourselves for it.
---
I am still fighting. I don't know if this is the right thing to do -- I'm hoping it is. I am willing to try anything and everything for us to have a shot at happiness, at us being together. I want both of us to be ready when that happens. You said you'll know when that day comes, and I'm hopeful that I, too, will know when it's the right time. Please don't ever think that I'm giving up. I am fighting and I hope you won't go anywhere. I know you are worth it. We are worth it.
---
"It's you."
I am holding on to this.
No comments:
Post a Comment